Who Went? One 2yo and Mum. I also took an embryo, so technically it was my first solo trip with two children. We met up with Vita and her son, and also D.
Review: Good catch-up-with-friends trip. P was just coming out of the manic early toddler stage, and I really enjoyed travelling with him, although I still wish we hadn’t spent quite so long driving around lost in a hire car or dealing with pink diarrhoea at airport security (story coming).
Highlights: Old friends, ferry rides, Sydney’s monorail, hanging at Darling Harbour.
Challenges: Dealing with pre-flight toddler diarrhoea at airport security, and getting lost in the hire car. After this trip I learnt to pack more spare clothes in the carry-on luggage and give myself at least three hours to drive forty-five minutes across Sydney. Also to watch Grandma more closely with the beetroot dip. At least Vita was there to let us use her washing machine and lend us toddler clothes.
Price Bracket: Low, although I cheated heavily by using frequent flyer points for the flights and car hire, and crashing with friends. Sydney tends to be moderate or even expensive under other circumstances.
Itinerary: Day One
- Check in for flight
- Deal with pink diarrhoea
- Fly Brisbane to Sydney (45 mins) on a mid-morning flight, landing at lunch time
- Pick up hire car plus toddler car seat
- Drive around lost for several hours whilst my host (Vita) waited patiently between intermittent messages to check if we were still ok and still coming
- Attend doctor’s appointment in lieu of planned activities (see also: pink diarrhoea)
- Dinner and hanging out in the back yard at Vita’s place with her son
- Overnight at Vita’s house
- Drive to river, play in playground
- Catch ferry in to Darling Harbour, hang out, drink coffee and babyccinos
- Catch ferry home
- Dinner, bid farewell, drive hire car to friend D’s house to hang out and drink wine
- Overnight at D’s house
- Rise and pack
- Drive hire car back to airport without getting quite so lost this time
- Lunchtime flight back to Brisbane (45 mins)
- Home for tea
If you’re in Sydney for a bit longer than we were, it might be worth a side trip to the Blue Mountains.